The Bold Checkout Extension supports users of both Adobe Commerce (formerly known as Magento 2) and Magento Open Source.
Bold provides a prebuilt platform connector and extension for merchants who want to use Bold Checkout with their Adobe Commerce or Magento Open Source store. Follow the instructions outlined in this document to set up Bold Checkout on your store.
Before you connect your Adobe Commerce store with Bold Checkout, ensure you have the following:
- An Adobe Commerce account.
- A payment gateway associated with the store.
- Composer installed on your store.
Configure firewall settings
Many merchants have firewalls in place that restrict incoming and outgoing network traffic, allowing only a predefined set of IP addresses. The nature of a platform connector requires Bold to make calls to your server. For Bold's integrations to function, Bold domains must be able to make requests to your application.
To ensure proper operation, you must configure your firewall settings to allow requests from the following domains or IP addresses:
- IP Addresses
Bold's applications are hosted on Google Cloud Platform, in the
northamerica-northeast1 scope. These IPs are included below:
Set up Bold Checkout
Use the following sections to set up Bold Checkout.
Create an account in Bold Account Center
To create an account and connect your store in Bold Account Center, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the Bold Account Center Login Page.
- Click Create account.
- Complete the Name, Organization name, Email, and Password fields.note
The organization name represents your company. You can add multiple stores under your organization in Account Center.
- Click Next.
- Add your first store.
- From the dropdown menu under Platform, select Adobe Commerce.
- Enter your Store URL. Use your store's default URL.
- Select your store Currency.
- Click Add store.
- A message appears to confirm you've successfully added your first store. You can now go to the Account Center Launchpad, or invite users to manage your store. For more information, refer to Invite or Deactivate a user in Account Center.
Create an API access token
To set up an API access token in Account Center, follow the steps below:
- From within Account Center, expand the left-hand menu and click API access tokens.
- Click Create API access token.
- Enter the API access token name and select the scopes as shown in the screenshot below.
- Click Create. A dialog box appears and provides a shared secret and API access token.You will use the shared secret and API access token to configure Adobe Commerce to call Bold Checkout.caution
Be sure to save the shared secret and API access token in a secure location, as they will disappear when you close the dialog.
- Click Done.
Install Bold Checkout
To install Bold Checkout from within Bold Account Center, follow the steps below:
- In Bold Account Center, navigate to Launchpad.
- In the Available Bold apps section, click Add under Bold Checkout.
- Once complete, you are redirected to the Bold Checkout admin.
Configure Bold Checkout
Configure Bold Checkout by following the steps below:
- From within Bold Checkout, navigate to Payment options > Payment gateways.
- To add a development gateway intended for testing, slide the toggle to the right to enable Development mode. Bold recommends first connecting a payment gateway in development mode so that you can ensure everything is set up correctly.
- To add a production payment gateway, toggle off Development mode, and set up a supported payment gateway in the Connect a payment gateway section. Bold strongly recommends using PayPal Complete Payments (PPCP) or Braintree as payment gateways with Adobe Commerce. You will not be charged Bold Checkout fees when these platforms.
- Navigate to Settings > General settings.
- Scroll down to the Checkout Process section. If company name or phone number are required fields on your Adobe platform, you must configure these settings to match your store settings.
- Click Save.
Add the platform connector in Bold Account Center
Add the Platform Connector for Adobe Commerce to your store by following the steps below:
- Within Bold Account Center, navigate to Launchpad, and select the Integrations tab.
- Click the Add button on the Platform Connector for Adobe Commerce card.note
If you have more than one store in Bold Account Center, a drop-down appears for you to select the desired store.
- Review the required scope permissions, and click Approve to accept them.
Install and configure the Bold Checkout Extension on Adobe
The Bold Checkout Extension is an Adobe Commerce extension that must be installed on your store. For general instructions on how to install an extension, refer to the Adobe Experience League.
You can find the full extension on GitHub.
Use the steps in this section to set up Bold Checkout as an extension on your store.
Add the extension on your Adobe Commerce store
Complete the following steps to install the extension on your Adobe Commerce store:
- Open your terminal and run the following Composer command to install Bold Platform and Bold Checkout. This command is also provided to you in the Platform Connector for Adobe Commerce Credentials tab.
composer require bold-commerce/module-checkout
- Enable the extension using the following commands:
php bin/magento setup:upgrade
php bin/magento setup:di:compile
(Optional) Apply the patch fix
If your version of Adobe Commerce is between 2.3.0 and 2.3.3, you must complete the steps outlined in this section.
Bold created a patch fix to ensure that Adobe and Bold Checkout are incrementing the
platform_friendly_id of each order in the same way. The patch file is included in the adobe-commerce-bold-checkout package that you already installed.
Apply the patch by using the following steps, which are different for on-premise and cloud stores.
On-premise patch fix instructions
Navigate to the root directory of your project. Run the following command:
patch < vendor/bold-commerce/module-checkout/patches/MAGETWO-70885_2.3.3-p1.patch
Cloud patch fix instructions
- Navigate to the root directory of your project. Create a directory called
m2-hotfixesif one does not already exist using the following command:
- From the root directory, copy the patch file to the
/m2-hotfixesdirectory using the following command:
cp vendor/bold-commerce/module-checkout/patches/MAGETWO-70885_2.3.3-p1.patch m2-hotfixes
- Add, commit, and push the code changes using the following commands:
git add m2-hotfixes/
git commit -m "Apply patch"
git push origin <branch-name>
For more information about applying patches on a Cloud instance, refer to the Adobe Experience League documentation.
Configure the extension
Complete the following steps in your Adobe Commerce admin to configure Bold Checkout on your store.
- In the Adobe Commerce admin, navigate to Stores > Configuration.
- If you have multiple websites, find the the Scope drop-down menu at the top of the page, and select the website you would like to configure. Skip this step if you are in Single Store Mode.note
In Adobe Commerce versions earlier than 2.4, this drop-down is titled Store View.
- In the left-hand menu of the Configuration page, navigate to Sales > Checkout.
- Expand the Bold Checkout Integration section, and configure your integration.note
You must deselect the Use Default checkboxes on any fields you wish to configure.
- In the Enable Bold Checkout drop-down menu, select Yes.
- In the Bold Checkout Type drop-down menu, select Standard.
- In the API token field, enter your API access token.
- In the Bold Integration Email drop-down, select which existing Adobe Commerce user's email you would like to use.
- The Bold Integration Status says "Not Found" or "Inactive". This is expected.
- Optional: Expand the Bold Checkout Integration Advanced Setting section, and configure advanced settings.
- If you do not want to enable Bold Checkout for all traffic on your store, select a traffic routing method from the Enabled For drop-down menu.
- Do not change the M2 Platform Connector API Url, API URL, or Checkout URL settings.
- If you want to send log information to your logging folder at
var/log/debug.log, select Yes from the Enable Bold Checkout Requests Log.
- Click the Save Config button.
Activate the extension
Complete the steps below to activate the extension on your Adobe Commerce store.
- In your Adobe Commerce admin, navigate to System > Integrations.
- In the list of integrations, find BoldPlatformIntegration1. Click Activate.note
If you only have one website, the integration is called BoldPlatformIntegration1. The suffix number changes depending on the number of stores you choose to integrate with Bold Checkout.
- When prompted to allow access to requested resources, click Allow. The extension authenticates and completes installation.caution
If a failure message appears, do not click Reauthorize. Instead, delete the integration from the Integrations page in the Adobe admin, return to the Stores > Settings > Configuration page, and re-save the configuration.
Place test order
To ensure everything is set up correctly, you can place a test order using development mode and your associated gateway's test card. Once development mode is off, you can also test your Adobe Commerce store configuration using real payment data.
Follow the steps below to place a test order in development mode.
- From within Bold Checkout, navigate to Payment Options > Payment Gateways.
- Ensure that Development mode is toggled on.
- Navigate to your Adobe Commerce storefront, select an item, and proceed to checkout.
- Use your payment gateway's associated test credit card to complete the order.
- Once your order successfully completes, return to the Payment Gateways page in the Bold Checkout admin and turn Developer mode off.
After setting up the standard Bold Checkout, there are several steps you can take to customize your store's checkout experience:
- Tailor the frontend user experience by adding UI elements in strategic locations. Bold provides the Lightweight Frontend Experience (LiFE) elements for easy user interface customizations. Add LiFE elements using the Bold Checkout APIs or the Adobe admin.
- Create a custom domain name for the Bold Checkout page.